“This land was not given to us by our forefathers; it is lent to us from our children.”
RM of Orkney No. 244 was incorporated January 1, 1913 and celebrated 100 years in 2013. The Rural Municipality of Orkney No. 244 was formerly known as “Local Improvement District No. 244” and held its first meeting January 3, 1910. In 1913 the Local Improvement District was dissolved and the Rural Municipality of Orkney No. 244 was incorporated with the first meeting held on January 7, 1913.
The R.M. of Orkney No. 244 is located in east central Saskatchewan, mainly to the west of the City of Yorkton. The R.M. encourages sustainable development and growth and promotes new development in rural areas that is compatible with agricultural land uses. The R.M. of Orkney No. 244 encompasses a large agricultural land base and continues to support the prominence of the agricultural economic base where agricultural production is supported, enhanced and continues to diversify.